BIBLIOGRAPHY OF MAJOR ANDRE.
[This originally appeared in the Magazine of American History for January, 1882 (Vol. 8,
No. 1), and is the work of Mr. Charles A. Campbell. I have re-arranged it in a form more
convenient for reference, and have added a little to it.—w. A.]
1. Andre, Memoirs op Major John. Winthrop Sargent. i2mo. Boston: Ticknor &
2. ------, Life op. Cr. 8vo. New York: D. Appleton & Co., 1871. Portraits of author and
Andr6. (A reprint, not a revised copy, of the first-named.)
3. Arnold, Life of. By Isaac N. Arnold. i2mo. Chicago: A. C. McClurg & Co., 1880.
Gives an account in which he endeavors to show the incentives to Arnold's treason.
(I. N. Arnold was President of the Chicago Historical Society, and only very remotely
connected with the traitor's family.)
4. ------, Life and Treason of. Jared Sparks. i6mo. (Vol. 3 of American Biography.)
5. ------, Treason of. —Atwill. Northampton, Mass., 1836. (A very rare pamphlet.)
6. ------, Treason of. Geo. C. Hill. Boston, 1858.
(For correspondence between Tallmadge and Sparks, see Magazine of American
History, December, 1879, pp. 247-256. The letters are (1882) in possession of Mary E.
Norwood, N. Y.
7. AndrE-ana. H.W.Smith. 8vo. Phila., 1865. Contains the trial and kindred matter.
8. Bancroft, History of United States, Vol. 10, p. 395. He followed " only contemporary
documents, which are abundant and of the truest character, and which, taken collectively,
solve every question."
9. Bolton, Rev. R., History of Westchester County. 1st edition, 1848; 2d edi-
10. Boynton. See No. 40.
11. Cooper, J. Fenimore, The Travelling Bachelor. Gives particulars of Arnold's own
statement, from a British officer, and Lafayette's recollections (1824) (and some other
matter less reliable.—w. A.).
12. Dearborn, General H. A., Military Journal.
13. Dunlap, William, History of New York, Vol. 2, ch. 13.
14. Fmmet, Dr. Thos. Addis, of New York, has an enlarged copy of Sargent and Andri-ana,
the two being extended to seven volumes thick 8vo, by insertion of a large number of
autograph letters, portraits, etc.
15. Greene, General Nathanael, Life op. By Professor Geo. W. Greene. Vol. 2, p. 227.
16. Hamilton, Alexander, Life of. By John C Hamilton. Vol. 1, p. 262,
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.