17. Harper's Magazine: Vols. 3 and 23. Article by tossing, May, 1876.
18. Headley, Washington and His Generals. By J. T. Headley.
19. Hildreth, History of United States. Vol. 3, ch. 41, gives an outline.
20. Historical Magazine (Dawson's), Morrisania, New York. August, 1859; August,
1863; Supplement of 1866; December, 1870.
21. Holland, Elihu G., Essays. Contains a play, entitled "The Highland Treason." (I
have not been able to find it.—w. A.)
22. Hull's Revolutionary Services. By General Wm. Hull. On Andre and Nathan Hale.
23. Irving, Life of Washington. Vols. 2 and 4. He made use of the MSS. of Colonel
24. Lamb, Colonel John, I/iFE of. By Isaac Q. Leake.
25. LETTERS About the Hudson. By Freeman Hunt. 1836. Contains some traditional
gossip (see p. 4.—w. A.)
26. Lord Mahon (Stanhope). See No. 63.
27. Lossing, Field-Book of the Revolution. By Benson J. Lossing. 2 vols. 8vo. New
York: Harper & Bros., 1850. Vol. 1, chaps. 30, 31, 32, gives an account which contains
much local detail, fully illustrated. His book, The Hudson from Wilderness to Sea, 4to,
New York, 1866, gives a general' account, illustrated.
28. Marbois, Complot d'Arnold et Sir H. Clinton, etc. Par Barbe Marbois (French
Secretary of Legation to the United States during the Revolution). For a translation
of it, see No. 38.
29. Marshall, Life of Washington. Vol. 4, p. 274.
30. Memorials, Historical Society of Perm., Vol. 6, p. 329, and Sargent, p. 266, and Appendix,
for opinions of Marbois. (See also Greene.)
31. National Quarterly Review, December, 1862.
32. New Mirror for Travellers. By "An Amateur." New York, 1828, pp. 103-109.
33. Niles'" Register. Vol. 20.
34. Pictorial History of England. Gives an account from the British Tory point
35. Scharf, J. T., History of Westchester County. 1886.
36. Shaw, Major Samuel, Journals of. By Josiah Quincy. 8vo. Boston, 1847, p. 77.
37. Southern Literary Messenger. Vol. n.
38. Walsh's American Register. Vol. 2, 1817. Gives a translation of Marbois.
39. Washington and the Generals of the American Revolution. Philadelphia, 1848.
(Supposed to be written by Bancroft.) Gives a biography of Arnold.
40. West PoinTi History of. By General H. V. Boynton. 8vo. New York, 1863. Points
out the military importance of the place, and gives a general account.
41. Winsor, Justin, Narrative and Critical History of the United States. Vol 6,
42. Adolphus, History of England. Vol. 3, chap. 39, takes "an adverse view of the
43. Biddlb. (Answer to Lord Mahon). See No. 62.
44. Biographical Dictionary of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. Vol. 2.
45. Chambers'*Biographical Dictionary. Article, " Washington."
46. Chambers' Encyclopedia (1859 edition) unfavorable to Andr£, and refers to No. 43, ante.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.